Hello Curvy Ladies. What is the key to an amazing plus size wardrobe? Proper fit! It is not tons of money (which IS nice). It took me a long time to figure out the importance of wearing properly fitting clothes. For so many years, my motto was to buy it if the items were on sale and wear them as is, even if it was loose here or too tight there. After all, it was cheap right, and bargain outweighed everything else, right? Wrong. Read on. We will discover how to create proper fitting clothes, shoes, and bras!
Figure Fit into Fashion
To fully understand the importance of fit, we must first change our mindsets. Just because a garment is cheap, doesn’t mean it is a good buy…for YOU.
There is a multitude of junk in my trunk. When I buy off the rack, if a skirt or dress fit my hips, my waist is neglected. If a blouse is large enough to fit my upper arms, there is too much material in the bust. You get the point. I used to keep a cache of safety pins to tighten or adjust some part of my clothes that did not fit properly, but these patches never worked quite right. Read on for my two remedies for ill-fitting clothes for an amazing plus size wardrobe without emptying the bank.
My Two Prescriptions to an Amazing Plus Size Wardrobe with Proper Fit
1. Hire a Seamstress
You will be so glad that you did. I wish that I had known this secret years ago. Get to know a great seamstress who can nip and tuck a waist, hem, and tailor an off the rack garment expertly to your body. It is also inexpensive and worth it. And, if you take a bundle of clothes at one time to alter, you may receive a discount.
2. eShakti – custom tailored clothing that is budget friendly!
As fast as you can, find your way to eShakti.com and watch your life change. eShakti offers hundreds of dresses, blouses, jacket, skirts, and pants customized to your exact measurements! Therefore, no matter your measurements, eShakti will custom make your garment from the thousands of choices available on their website. By hitting the link below, you will go to the eShakti website. And, yes, as I am an affiliate, I may receive a small percentage of your purchase if you buy from the eShakti site. So, you will be helping a sister out!
How eShakti Works
- Pick Your Favorite Design
Choose one (or many) of the dresses, tops, and bottoms in the eShakti collection.
- Give eShakti Your Measurements
Whether you choose to customize your item or not, eShakti always need to know at least your height to give you a great fit.
- Customize Your Design to Suit Your Style—If You Like
Want a higher hemline? A lower neckline? Different sleeves? No problem. eShakti customize designs for sizes 0-36W for just $9.95 per item.
- Get ready for Your Customized Clothing
Your item will be hand-crafted to order and at your doorstep in 14-17 days.
No more fit worries!
I now no longer worry about whether the sleeves of a garment are too tight or whether the hips are too small when I purchase from eShakti. Per my measurements, I get a perfect fit. It creates an amazing plus size wardrobe. As a professed girly girl, I cannot get enough of their feminine dresses! In addition to receiving a custom fit, you can buy their clothes in regular sizes from 0-32! From birthday bashes to black tie occasions to work attire, eShakti is my go-to store for dresses! The materials are amazing, and design options are almost limitless for the neckline, sleeve type, sleeve length and hemline of the garment. From casual to special occasions, eShakti has me covered.
Proper Shoe Fit
Proper fit is not relegated to clothing — it includes shoes.
“88% of women are wearing shoes that are too small for their feet!”
According to a study conducted by The American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS), 88% of the women were wearing shoes that were too small for their feet! Yikes! That is a lot of suffering. When buying new shoes, I never really understood the idea of walking around in pain until you “break your shoes in.” Shoes should not need “breaking in.” While leather will stretch over time with wear, shoes should fit properly from the moment you put them on. Here is your quiz. What is the key to an amazing plus size wardrobe? Proper fit INCLUDING your feet.
Properly Measure Your Feet
The first step is to get your feet measured. A shoe store or shoe repair store will have the proper equipment to measure your shoe size expertly. Or, you can do it yourself using this handy video from the HealthyFeetStore at https://www.healthyfeetstore.com/shoe-fitting-guide.html. I recommend the professional shoe fit by an expert. It should be free and totally accurate.
Your Shoe Size Can Change
Did you know that your shoe size can change? Size change can come with weight loss or gain, pregnancy, age, medical conditions,
Proper Bra Fit
It is time to bring the girls to
80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra
Did you know that according to industry standards, 80% of women are wearing the wrong size bra? This probably means you. For help, see the instructions below, courtesy of Lane Bryant on how to measure for the perfect fitting bra. Just like our feet, our breast size and shape can change also (often not for the better as we age, ugh!). Check out their website at https://www.lanebryant.com/content/bra-guide for a great how-to video.
Easy Bra Fitting Instructions
- Measure your band. Wear a lightly lined (non-push-up) bra so your breasts are as close to natural as possible. Wrap a measuring tape directly under your breasts. Make sure it’s directly parallel with the bottom of the bra band.
- Now measure your bust. Place the tape at the fullest part of your bust. Make sure it’s parallel to your band again.
- Subtract the band size from your bust size to find the right cup size. Every inch equals one cup size up.
Check the standard bra size chart below to choose your fit.
Don’t fall victim to these bra offenses
For a proper fit, be sure that you are NOT a victim of the following bra offenses courtesy of Bare Necessities at https://www.barenecessities.com/feature.aspx?pagename=fit_sizing.
Special Tips for Underwire Bras
Follow these 7 steps from Simplybe.com to a great fitting underwire bra.
- The wires at the front, in the middle of your chest (called the “center-front”) should sit flat against your body.
- The wires should sit flat against your rib cage in the crease of your bust with absolutely no lifting away.
- Breast tissue should be encased completely by the wire. The wire should sit behind the breast tissue, under your arms.
- Cups should fit with no bulging over or gaping at the top.
- The back-band should sit horizontally across your body, in line with the wires at the front of the bra.
- Your back-band should be nice and snug. You should not be able to pull it more than 2 inches from your back.
- Your straps should be adjusted in length to give support to the cup but should also be comfortable.
Get a Professional Bra Fitting
While it is great to follow the steps above, I recommend a professional bra fitting to assure that you are wearing the right size bra. Stores such as Dillards, Catherines, Nordstroms, and Lane Bryant, Torrid, Macy’s, Victoria’s Secret, and other outlets offer free bra fittings.
Know Your Body Shape for the Perfect Fit
Remember, no matter your choice of leopard, for the best fitting clothes, check out my blog, How to Determine Your Plus Size Body Shape to Find the Most Flattering Clothes.
Call to Action
Find a great seamstress
- Research and find a great seamstress in your area (if you do not have one already). Referrals and recommendations are key. View any online recommendations.
- After you have found a great seamstress, go through your closet and find two pieces of clothing that could fit you better. Visit your friendly neighborhood seamstress and watch the magic happen.
- Post your photos with comments of the results and give a shout out to your seamstress. I am sure she/he will appreciate the business!
Now, again, what is the key to an amazing plus size wardrobe? Proper fit. Thank you for viewing my blog. It is the basis for much more sophisticated style and fashion to come. Please remember to follow me on social media and share the post.
Until Next Time…
This post contains some store affiliate links for your shopping convenience. If you make a purchase through the link, I may earn a small commission.